#CelebrateUU builds on the concept of U=U, calling on individuals living with HIV to start recognizing and celebrating our anniversaries of having an undetectable viral load.
Take a #CelebrateUU Selfie!
This is a “self fulfillment” movement. At its most basic level, #CelebrateUU asks people living with HIV to post a #CelebrateUU selfie to social media.
We invite you to do this on the anniversary of your first reaching undetectable status, and celebrate this health milestone every year. It’s also a great post for World AIDS Day (Dec 1), HIV Long-Term Survivors Day (June 5) or other events in your community.
The steps are simple
- SIGN: Use a sign like the one above or a simple handwritten sign (click here for templates to use)
- SELFIE: Take a selfie
- HASHTAGS: Include the hashtags #HIV #CelebrateUU #UequalsU #UU6 (replacing the 6 with how many years you’ve been undetectable!)
- STORY: Share something simple like: “This month I celebrate 6 years undetectable, which means I cannot sexually transmit HIV to others!” Answer the question “What does U=U mean for YOU?“
- SHARE: Share to your social media and tag us @CelebrateUU on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Why this, why now?
In the early days of the AIDS pandemic, it took ACT UP to drive changes in funding & treatment options. Their slogan was SILENCE=DEATH.
In starting this movement as individuals living with HIV, we reclaim our dignity by reclaiming our diagnosis. With U=U, we reclaim our social, sexual, and reproductive health.
We learn from cancer survivors and people in long-term recovery from addiction, that anniversaries matter!
- They matter to the individual’s own survival and joyful living, reminding them each year to appreciate their health.
- They matter to the newly diagnosed, giving them hope of reaching this important milestone in their ongoing treatment.
- They matter to our communities, breaking down the silence, stigma and shame associated with the HIV epidemic.
- They matter to the world, as we work towards ending this epidemic.
Value ≠ Viral Load
We recognize that not everyone is able to reach an undetectable level. We believe we all have worth as human beings living with this disease, that our value is not determined by our viral load (V≠V). As we #CelebrateUU, we celebrate ALL who are living with HIV, resilient and strong.
Participate: Special Art Intervention
I’m looking for people living with HIV in the greater Indianapolis area who are interested in participating in a special art intervention related to CelebrateUU. To learn more, click here.